option to select output color space?

Let us know what you'd like to see in the next version of SplitCam. Also if you have any idea for SplitCam Software, write about it here.
HunJozsef
User

option to select output color space?

Post by HunJozsef » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:59 am

Hi!

I do nighttime observations of transient luminous events (e.g. sprites). I tried to connect UFO capture to splitcamera to analyze pre-recorded video, but I failed. I contacted UFO Capture author SonotaCo and he told that splitcamera provides an RGB24 output, while UFO capture is compatibe only with UYUV,YUV2,I420,IYUV,YV12,DVSD,DVHD,RGB8,Y800
color spaces - so with quite many _but_ the RGB24 (sigh). Unfortuntely he declined to develop RGB24 compatibility for UFO capture. It would be very useful to connect specifically UFO Capture to splitcamera also because different event detection settings could be simultaneously tested, and there are yet other uses, too.

This is my motivation for the following request, but maybe there are other applications out there, which are not compatible with splitcamera due to a colorspace mismatch.

The request: would it be possible to add an option to select the type of the output color space in splitcamera? Even a "preserve input color space" option would be very useful... Thanks!

SPLITCAM SUPPORT
Site Admin

Re: option to select output color space?

Post by SPLITCAM SUPPORT » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 am

We try to add this colors to splitcam in next month.
Thank You

HunJozsef
User

Post by HunJozsef » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:39 am

Wow, great! Thank you :-) I look forward to try it! :-)

Fortra
Profi User

Post by Fortra » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 am

@ HunJozsef,

Just so your made aware about some updated news info about what has been added to a BETA version!

Hopefully, given time more of your listed formats will be added to future updates.

Check it out here via this link > viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4364
HunJozsef wrote:Hi!

I do nighttime observations of transient luminous events (e.g. sprites). I tried to connect UFO capture to splitcamera to analyze pre-recorded video, but I failed. I contacted UFO Capture author SonotaCo and he told that splitcamera provides an RGB24 output, while UFO capture is compatibe only with UYUV,YUV2,I420,IYUV,YV12,DVSD,DVHD,RGB8,Y800
color spaces
- so with quite many _but_ the RGB24 (sigh). Unfortuntely he declined to develop RGB24 compatibility for UFO capture. It would be very useful to connect specifically UFO Capture to splitcamera also because different event detection settings could be simultaneously tested, and there are yet other uses, too.

This is my motivation for the following request, but maybe there are other applications out there, which are not compatible with splitcamera due to a colorspace mismatch.

The request: would it be possible to add an option to select the type of the output color space in splitcamera? Even a "preserve input color space" option would be very useful... Thanks!
@ USERS, NO BS - PLEASE USE ONE OF THE EXISTING APPROPRIATE TOPIC THREAD WHEN POSTING ANY OF
YOUR QUESTIONS ON HERE... BY USING THE BRIGHTLY
LIT AND NOTICEABLE (POST REPLY) GREEN BUTTON
FOLLOW ARROW DIRECTION BELOW.

<|==<<<

HunJozsef
User

resolution

Post by HunJozsef » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi! Thanks for the note. I tried this version and it works wonderfully. Thank you very much, I can connect SplitCam to UFO Capture!!

Nevertheless I experienced some strange functioning. I wanted to connect SplitCam to UFO Capture (among other reasons) to analyze already captured video with it. Now my video is in 720x576 (standard PAL) resolution. I wanted every pixel to appear in its original brightness, so I choose "resolution by source" in SplitCam. Then I could not connect UFO Capture with 720x576 resolution.

On the other hand, either if I set "resolution by source", or any resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio in SplitCam, I can connect UFO Capture to SplitCam with _any_(!) Splitcam supported 4:3 resolution (e.g. 640x480, 800x600, higher, lower, whichever), without changing the resolution setting in SplitCam! :shock:

On one hand, I am really happy with that, on the other hand I became doubtful about how the brightness of the pixels in the original video is changed/converted when it comes through SplitCam?

My first questions is therefore: What is "resolution by source" setting supposed to mean?

The second question is: when I see the video config, I see that the capture card software indicates that "625" lines are detected. I guess these are 625 scan lines in the analogue video signal it receives. Now how will these lines become 600, 480, and other vertical resolutions? Can you give me a hint where can I look after this? Thanks!

Fortra
Profi User

Re: resolution

Post by Fortra » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 am

The answer to your (First) question is the (18 Listed) selectable Resolutions Sources High-Lighted by the RED box area in the attachment!

The answer to your (Second) question is, it will depend on if you want to use a 4:3 aspect ratio (Square pixel) or 16:9 aspect ratio (Wide pixel).
HunJozsef wrote:Hi! Thanks for the note. I tried this version and it works wonderfully. Thank you very much, I can connect SplitCam to UFO Capture!!

Nevertheless I experienced some strange functioning. I wanted to connect SplitCam to UFO Capture (among other reasons) to analyze already captured video with it. Now my video is in 720x576 (standard PAL) resolution. I wanted every pixel to appear in its original brightness, so I choose "resolution by source" in SplitCam. Then I could not connect UFO Capture with 720x576 resolution.

On the other hand, either if I set "resolution by source", or any resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio in SplitCam, I can connect UFO Capture to SplitCam with _any_(!) Splitcam supported 4:3 resolution (e.g. 640x480, 800x600, higher, lower, whichever), without changing the resolution setting in SplitCam! :shock:

On one hand, I am really happy with that, on the other hand I became doubtful about how the brightness of the pixels in the original video is changed/converted when it comes through SplitCam?

My first questions is therefore: What is "resolution by source" setting supposed to mean?

The second question is: when I see the video config, I see that the capture card software indicates that "625" lines are detected. I guess these are 625 scan lines in the analogue video signal it receives. Now how will these lines become 600, 480, and other vertical resolutions? Can you give me a hint where can I look after this? Thanks!
Attachments
Resolution-by-Source.png
Resolution-by-Source.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 15401 times
@ USERS, NO BS - PLEASE USE ONE OF THE EXISTING APPROPRIATE TOPIC THREAD WHEN POSTING ANY OF

<|==<<<

HunJozsef
User

Re: resolution

Post by HunJozsef » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Maybe I get something wrong. I can in fact select the "resolution by source" line, so it is not just a header for the listed set of resolutions. Probably it is my insufficient English but what is the source then? I thought it was the original media the program takes for input and the resolution of this original media (video or screen part, etc.) appears at the output of SplitCam... (?)

As for the second question, let's assume I use square pixels (4:3). Are the samples from the original scan lines interpolated (just a guess)? What difference does the shape of pixels make?

Fortra
Profi User

Post by Fortra » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 am

@ HunJozsef,

I would have thought, it was clear enough in my previous post above about the differences between the aspect ratio ! :|

P.S - Just use what looks good to you, and that works best for your system setup requirements. :wink:

<|==<<<