Splitcam - Not Just for Webcam Video Chat?

Post your SplitCam questions and bug reports here. PLEASE WRITE ONLY IN ENGLISH !
LJO
User

Splitcam - Not Just for Webcam Video Chat?

Post by LJO » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm a researcher studying upper atmosphere lightning phenomenon using a camera mounted on the roof of the building, connected to a Vista computer in the lab. What I would like to do is figure out how to split the video feed from the camera and both broadcast it on the web (not real picky about the program, but I currently have Broadcam installed for this purpose) and also send it through another program to sort the video (UFOCapture).
I know very little about the camera hookup itself, but I don't think it connects via firewire - I wasn't the one who set this up. I can find out more if necessary, but it could be difficult (the situation is complicated by the fact that the camera produces an analog signal and it's converted to a digital one).

From what I've read about the program (which very little of the documentation I've found is relevant to what I'm trying to do) it might work for what I want.

However, I absolutely cannot lose video quality in the signal to UFOCapture. I am not at all familiar with how programs like Splitcam work, so I don't know if using a software video splitter just as a general rule loses video quality.

Will I lose video quality? Is the split camera feed compatible with UFOCapture (I don't expect anyone to have any experience with this program, but somebody might know generally)? Anything else you can think of that I might want to know?

Thank you for your help. (Sorry for the TLDR.)

Fortra
Profi User

Re: Splitcam - Not Just for Webcam Video Chat?

Post by Fortra » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi,

It's totally up to how you want to setup, and use the program. On the splitcam homepage it does mention a brief outline of what splitcam is able to do, with it having support for HD & various resolutions. :wink:
@ USERS, NO BS - PLEASE USE ONE OF THE EXISTING APPROPRIATE TOPIC THREAD WHEN POSTING ANY OF
YOUR QUESTIONS ON HERE... BY USING THE BRIGHTLY
LIT AND NOTICEABLE (POST REPLY) GREEN BUTTON
FOLLOW ARROW DIRECTION BELOW.

<|==<<<

LJO
User

Post by LJO » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:22 pm

LJO wrote: Will I lose video quality? Is the split camera feed compatible with UFOCapture (I don't expect anyone to have any experience with this program, but somebody might know generally)? Anything else you can think of that I might want to know?
My questions. Somebody PLEASE answer them.

Fortra
Profi User

Post by Fortra » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:13 am

LJO wrote:
LJO wrote: Will I lose video quality? Is the split camera feed compatible with UFOCapture (I don't expect anyone to have any experience with this program, but somebody might know generally)? Anything else you can think of that I might want to know?
My questions. Somebody PLEASE answer them.
You can answer your own question, by (testing, and trying it out yourself). And see if it suit your requirements.
@ USERS, NO BS - PLEASE USE ONE OF THE EXISTING APPROPRIATE TOPIC THREAD WHEN POSTING ANY OF

<|==<<<

LJO
User

Post by LJO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 pm

I don't have a problem testing it out to see if it's compatible with the software, but as far as the video quality goes, (because of a bunch of reasons I don't want to go into) I'm risking a whole night's worth of data by testing it out. I was hoping that someone who knew more about the software would be able to at least answer the video quality question.

pterodyne
User

Post by pterodyne » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 pm

I use splitcam for an allsky camera at my observatory. So far I hook to it using Yawcam, and ASCUploader all with no quality loss. I am using an imaging source planetary camera at 1280x960 and it works fine at that resolution.

I have connected to it via UFO Capture before, and it works. You have to manually put in the resolution on UFO Capture in order to access custom resolutions. Not sure if that will apply to your camera, but it did for the imaging source camera.

Fortra
Profi User

Post by Fortra » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:42 am

pterodyne wrote:I use splitcam for an allsky camera at my observatory. So far I hook to it using Yawcam, and ASCUploader all with no quality loss. I am using an imaging source planetary camera at 1280x960 and it works fine at that resolution.

I have connected to it via UFO Capture before, and it works. You have to manually put in the resolution on UFO Capture in order to access custom resolutions. Not sure if that will apply to your camera, but it did for the imaging source camera.
Well done! :)

<|==<<<

LJO
User

Post by LJO » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 pm

pterodyne wrote:I use splitcam for an allsky camera at my observatory. So far I hook to it using Yawcam, and ASCUploader all with no quality loss. I am using an imaging source planetary camera at 1280x960 and it works fine at that resolution.

Wow, thanks! Good to know that it does work with UFOCapture, I'm definitely going to try this program.

HunJozsef
User

Post by HunJozsef » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi, I am really glad I found this topic in splitcamera forum. I do nighttime observations of transient luminous events (e.g. sprites). I tried to connect UFO capture to splitcamera to analyze pre-recorded video, but I failed. I contacted UFO Capture author SonotaCo and he told that splitcamera provides an RGB24 output, while UFO capture is compatibe only with UYUV,YUV2,I420,IYUV,YV12,DVSD,DVHD,RGB8,Y800
color spaces - so with quite many _but_ the RGB24 (sigh). And he declined to develop RGB24 compatibility for UFO capture. So I am really curious how did you make it eventually...? What is the version of UFO Capture you use? Any hint would be apprechiated... Thanks, Jozsef

Fortra
Profi User

Post by Fortra » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:27 am

Hi
He also mentioned, using it thru "YawCam & ASCUPloader" without any quality loss.

<|==<<<

HunJozsef
User

Post by HunJozsef » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 am

Hi,

I managed to find pterodyne and I have asked him about connecting UFO Capture to splitcamera.

It seems that he mixed up names of applications and he never managed to connect UFO Capture to splitcamera. So I decided to re-post the my wish in the "feature request" section. Thanks.

Fortra
Profi User

Post by Fortra » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:33 pm

@ HunJozsef,

ok, and thanks for the update !

<|==<<<

SPLITCAM SUPPORT
Site Admin

Post by SPLITCAM SUPPORT » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:53 am

@All
New version of splitcam support YUV video format and it's mean the new version can work with UFO Capture.

Download new version from this URL : http://www.splitcamera.com/SplitCamSetup_beta.exe